Olde Canal Village Trustee Meeting

 

 

 

 

Date

3/1/04

ATTENDEES

 Tom Fermi

 Andy Habe

 BillPatten

 Merle Ray

 Tom Rogers

Officer Peter Emerick

Page

1

of

1

 

Time

7:00 P.M.

     

Call to Order:

7:08 P.M. Hrs.

Place

clubhouse

     

Open session adjourn

8:15 P.M.

Scrivener

W. L. Oncay

     

Closed session adjourn

8:55 P.M.

 

 

 

 

Meeting called by:

 Scheduled

 Trustee    Resident    Other

Describe other      

 

 

Which  Trustee

     

Type of meeting:

   Routine       Special      Emergency     Executive

 

 

Agenda

 

Open Session Agenda

 

 

Closed Session Agenda

 

 

1         PROXY Ballot approval

2         Use of clubhouse, Clubhouse Agreement, Clubhouse Rules, & Clubhouse Alcohol Policy – Approve and Publish

3         Marinella work activity completion status

4         Rodman Insurance Status

5         Review Balance Sheet as Equity & how amounts were derived. OCV Accounting Procedures – Merle Ray & Finance Committee

6         AC for clubhouse – vendor contract negotiations

7         Declaration of Trust – Bylaws (draft revision)

8         Review for recommended changes and/or approval

9         Trustee Comments

 

 

Chairman Comments

 

Committee Reports

 

Guest Speaker[1]

 

Open Discussion of Issues

 

Board Issues

 

Open Session Adjourn

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Minutes                                     b Designates an action item

Open Session

Call to Order  The March Monthly Trustee meeting was called to order at just after 7 P.M. EST.  Chairman Habe identified the most significant item on the March agenda to be traffic patterns and traffic safety at Olde Canal Village . He then announced we would have a speaker from the Uxbridge Police Department to talk about these issues.

b# Committee Reports Wendy Quinlan, chairman of the Yard Sale committee, was asked to report on the progress of that project. Wendy and her committee have put together an initial set of rules, which Wendy believes, from previous experience, will work successfully. She is suggesting the event take place on May 1, 2004, rain or shine. The entry fee is $15.00. This money will go into the clubhouse fund. Whatever money is made through the sale of goods goes to the people who sold them. Participants set their own prices, manage their own money collection, bagging, and clean-up of their respective areas when the day is done.

She’d like to get community feedback on the initial set of rules. She has petitioned the community for volunteers for an advertising subcommittee and a refreshment subcommittee.  Details can be found in this month’s newsletter.

# Guest Speaker Chairman Habe introduced Uxbridge Police Officer Peter Emerick who was invited to our meeting to speak about traffic safety, specifically within Olde Canal Village. Officer Emerick pointed out that the “circle” was the point of greatest risk. Attendees were reminded that OCV is a private way, the police had very limited authority here, and that can be perceived as either good or bad. “Bad”, in that the police have little or no authority at Olde Canal Village and the “good” being that members of this community can do whatever they want with regards to traffic. We have the authority to deploy signs posting speed limits, one-way, and stop signs. He suggested that whatever the “plan” turns out to be, that it conforms to accepted public traffic standards.

Towing illegally parked vehicles is entirely at the discretion of OCV. We are not required to notify the police but it would be a good idea. The police will attempt to find the owner of the vehicle and have it moved voluntarily.

b # One concern, emphasized by Officer Emerick, addressed to the Association, should be liability; liability attached to an auto accident on the premises, especially involving drivers that are not owners or residents.

Many of the questions and comments from the audience were redirected to our insurance carrier[2].

Andy Habe thanked Officer Peter Emerick for his coming and for the support of the Uxbridge Police Department in general.

A community discussion followed. It was largely agreed that we do have a problem and we have to do something about it, especially on those days where school activities create parking problems up Warsaw and onto Olde Canal Village property.

It was suggested that a “sawhorse” with a special PARKING PROHIB ITED” notice be placed at the end of Warsaw street on those days when the problem is anticipated.

Andy Habe spoke of the previous meeting with Officer Mike Devito of the Uxbridge Police in July involving home safety precautions including the importance of good night lighting to prevent break-ins and vandalism.

Everyone was again urged to comply with the need to keep their outside garage light on. The Trustees have seen some improvement in lighting compliance but there is still remains room for improvement. A total community effort is essential in this matter.

Chairman Habe thanked Helen Ray for her effort in contacting the Uxbridge Police and arranging to have Officer Emerick present traffic safety issues. Helen also located a local vendor for road sign design and got pricing information as well.

Chairman Habe thanked Merle Ray for playing a major role in identifying thisconcerned part to correct this potentially hazardous traffic condition 

Open Forum

·         People were reminded that if they haven’t yet done so, they need to change their furnace filter and they need to continue to change it on a regular routine basis. The air filter system is in use both during the summer and winter. If it is allowed to, the filter will accumulate enough dust and dirt to prevent airflow. This can cause blower motor overheating and other problems including the complete loss of any degree of efficiency the furnace might otherwise have.

·         Window replacement

·         Wind damage to siding over original and replacement windows needs repair.

·          Bill Cember & Doris Gajda

·          Others ???

·         b# Lou Whitehouse and Merle Ray are waiting for Marinella to replace their windows.

·         b# It was said that the Bylaws should identify the authority to act as an agent of Olde Canal Village  to have cars towed. It has been suggested that windshield stickers be provided to those who reside here and guest parking permits (to lay on the dashboard)

·         b# Driveway Cracks - Driveway and roadway cracks - Several residents noted that their driveways have developed large cracks this winter. It was noted that the roadways have developed cracks as well. Corrective action will be taken in the spring.Last year’s flower committee was reinstated for 2004. Carol Perda and Ann Lewis have joined the committee this year.

·         Merle Ray gave the Budget vs. Expenditures report

·           OCV is $3000.00 under budget to date.

·          CertifiedPublic Account (John Harrigan) is reviewing FY 2003 Financial Statements with OCV Bookkeeping Service.

·         The Trustees are compiling a list of Preferred Vendors. When that list is ready, it will be published. In the meantime if any homeowner has work done at their place and was satisfied with the contractor, please share by calling the Trustees so the community can put the name on the list.

·         There is a menu of handyman services being compiled by the Homeowner Maintenance Committee for around-the-house chores. The menu will also show the price for each chore. The audience was reminded that the cost of this work is the responsibility of the homeowner, not the association. The list will be published in the newsletter.

At this point, the open forum was declared adjourned and the closed session conviened.

 

 

Closed Session

# bPROXY BALLOT - The first item on the agenda for Board discussion was the PROXY ballot format. Suggestions made include:

Make the font for the footnotes larger

Make the document reuseable by removing the hardcoded year field of the date.

b# FORMS and RULES DOCUMENTS - Each member of the Board now has a copy of the Clubhouse Rules, Alcohol Policy, and the Clubhouse Agreement Form. It was decided to defer this item to give the Board an opportunity to read and provide feedback. Ratification of these forms and rules will be at the next meeting. In the meantime, Trustees should contact Bill Oncay with suggested changes.

RODMAN INSURANCE STATUS

BILL - The Rodman Insurance Payment will be made as soon as the board approves it.

b# LETTER -  Tom Rogers has produced a letter to send to Rodman Insurance  (via Jeff Grosser) asking  him if Olde Canal Village has adequate coverage and that if he disagrees to please respond. Previously, we signed an agreement with Rodman Insurance stating that Olde Canal Village would maintain 100% coverage. Tom wants to put the onus on Rodman to come back and tell OCV that OCV is inadequatly insured for 100% replacement cost coverage. The board approved and the letter will be sent.

b# BALANCE SHEET -Merle isn’t able to confirm the accuracy of the equity nor identify how it is computed. He is checking into these matters. The OCV financial statements for 2003 are currently under review by the CPA, John Harrigan. Once the review is completed, the report will be presented to the board and the equity accounts will  be consolidated into one account.

 

b# AIR CONDITIONING FOR THE CLUBHOUSE - Bill Oncay who is looking into air conditioning contractors reported that OCV currently has two bids for the project and is waiting on a third. Bill Oncay stated that both bidders would be agreeable to come back for price and contract negotiations.

b# DECLARATION OF TRUST - A copy of the Declaration of Trust with the currently proposed changes needs to be distributed to the complete Board. The Board will review the document and come to the next meeting prepared to discuss, debate, and amend as required.

 Trustee Comments

It was decided that whatever the outcome of the Board’s decision on traffic patterns, speeds, and signing, it would be well documented in the Rules and Regulations section of the Declaration of Trust.

 

 


 

Action Items

üCommittee Reports

DraftAdCommitteemembersforTagSale............................................................................................... Wendy Quinlan

Draft Refreshment Committee members for Tag Sale............................................................................. Wendy Quinlan

üGuest Speaker

Check with Rodman Insurance RE affects of signing on liability............................................................................. Rogers

 Find someone in the field that might offer some signing suggestions................................................................. Rogers

Contact Floyd Foreman (Planning Board)..................................................................................................................... Rogers

Contact DPW Commissioner Larry Bombara for suggestions on signing............................................................. Rogers

üAmend Bylaws to identify car towing authority(ies)........................................................................ Oncay

üDriveway/Roadway Cracks

Identify where the cracks are............................................................................................................................................ Oncay

Determine the scope of the problem................................................................................................................................... TBD

Devise a solution.......................................................................................................................................................................... TBD

üProxy Ballot Fix-ups....................................................................................................................... Oncay

üForms and Rules Documents

üInsurance

Mail the letter to Jeff Grossman....................................................................................................................................... Rogers

Notify the Board of responses to the letter.................................................................................................................. Rogers

üDeclaration of Trust

Distribution of red-line document.................................................................................................................................... Oncay

Working session to review draft revision 1..................................................................................................................... Board

 

 
 



[1] Sergeant Peter Emerick of the Uxbridge Police Department

[2] RODMAN Insurance